What You Need To Know About Emergency Housing

May 19, 2023
What You Need To Know About Emergency Housing

Affordable, accessible housing can be a struggle for many area residents. Referral information is frequently requested from Christian Help regarding shelter support options.  Programs and funding may vary over time and by sponsor focus.  However, there are several area services established to track these and help secure housing.  An outline of these agencies, including purpose and contact information is provided below:

The WV Coalition to End Homelessness (WVCEH) – a State organization focused on housing those who are unsheltered.  Program availability is dependent upon grant parameters and funding available.  They are the initial point of contact for their programs, as well as most other supportive housing services through the State of WV (e.g., FMHA programs).  The WVCEH should be the first contact made so that people can be registered in the HRIS system and appropriately referred.  The general Intake Line for coordinated entry is (833) 722-2014.  Locally based Community Outreach representatives of the WVCEH may provide readiness, needs, and placement assistance to clients following registration.

Bartlett House Solutions (BHS) – A local organization focused on housing those who are unsheltered.  BHS is similar to the WVCEH, but Morgantown based.  BHS operates the only unconditional emergency shelter in Morgantown.  There are tiered programs available for people through case discussion at the shelter.  The emergency shelter is located at 20 Scott Avenue, Morgantown, WV 26508.  Bed space is available on a first come first served basis at the shelter, with entry wait beginning ~7:30pm.  The phone number is (304) 292-0101.  The emergency shelter is typically the entry point for other BHS programs.  Their transitional housing programs are coordinated at the Nitor House, 10 West Run Road, Morgantown, WV 26508.  Case managers will discuss available Bridge Housing, Rapid Rehousing, and Supportive Housing options and qualifications directly with participants.

The Fairmont Morgantown Housing Authority (FMHA) – A State organization focused on transitional housing support.  The FMHA has a variety of supportive housing programs available  through HUD, including emergency and population specific options.  They are open Monday through Thursday, 8:30am-4:30pm.  The FMHA phone number is (304) 363-0860.  Staff are skilled at consideration of all their programs for proper assistance.

Mon Valley Habitat for Humanity – An international program providing a pathway to homeownership for qualified participants.  This can be new construction or assumed property responsibility.  The qualification test is located at:  https://monvalleyhfh.org/housing-help/homeownership.  Their local phone number is (304) 292-0914, or they can be reached by email at info@monvalleyhfh.org.

If you have any question regarding this information, please feel free to contact Christian Help at 304-296-0221.